Wednesday 26 December 2012

Hello

Hello world. This is my first blog, and indeed the first entry in my first blog. Ever since childhood, I've always loved nature. I was one of those kids who didn't mind getting dirty, would walk through parts of the forest where there were no paths, climb trees, and flip over rocks and turn over leaves to see what was hiding underneath. As I grew older, I was drawn in particular to Lepidoptera, that is, the group of insects that includes butterflies and moths. Their life cycle is really amazing, and for anyone who has ever seen a butterfly emerge from its pupa, well, it's just pretty spectacular to see. The first time I saw this event was probably when I was around 15, and it was for a Monarch butterfly. Ever since then, I've been hooked, and I've tried to find as many species as I can, and see as many of their life cycles as I can. Over the years, I've raised a number of species and documented their life cycles, and that is going to be the purpose of this blog - to share that experience. I want to share my knowledge, my pictures, my memories, and who knows, perhaps some other kid not unlike my younger self will come upon this and become interested in these amazing insects.

I do not intend for this blog to be overly rife with scientific jargon, but there will be some because that's just what comes naturally to me now. However, you don't need to have a PhD in entomology to understand my entries. They will take the form of stories in a way, where I take the reader through what it's like in the life of a butterfly basically. I'll try to explain as many of the scientific terms as I can along the way.

Stay tuned for entry two....!

No comments:

Post a Comment